Legal Profession: 1967
NSW Bar: 1967
Queens Counsel: 1988
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Trial Advocacy
LLB. Sydney University – 1968
Crown Counsel and Senior Crown Counsel (Hong Kong) 1975 – 1978
Crown Prosecutor 1978 – 1984
Recent Cases in the Court of Criminal Appeal
- Mansweto v R  NSWCCA – successful appeal against sentence – manifest excess
- [Restricted decision]  NSWCCA 190 – successful appeal against conviction –unfair summing up
- Daaboul v R  NSWCCA 191 – successful appeal against conviction – unreasonable verdict
- Casella v R  NSWCCA 201 – successful appeal on sentence – manifest excess
- The Rule Against Hearsay – The impact of the new legislation on the “old chestnut”; The requirement to give notice with respect to witnesses – Delivered at Legal and Accounting Management Seminar on Thursday 28 March, 1996 at Masonic Centre, Sydney.
- The line between legitimate cross examination and exposing the character of the accused – Delivered at Criminal Law Specialists’ Conference, June 1996.
- Implied and Inherent Power – Delivered on Wednesday 11 March 1998 at the Law Society of NSW.
- Sex, Lies & Medicos – Delivered at Europe Pacific Medico-legal & Industrial Law Conference, Cortina d’ampezzo. Italy on 10-17 January, 1998.
- Sentencing for environmental offences – Delivered on Friday 6 February 1998 at the Metcalfe Auditorium, State Library.
- Current issues in jury trials – Delivered on Saturday, 14 February 1998 at the Dixon Room, State Library, Macquarie Street, Sydney.
- Sentencing – Guidelines and Important Judgments of the Court of Criminal Appeal – Delivered on Saturday 4 March 2000 at State Library of New South Wales.
- Keeping the Client Out of Gaol – Superior Courts By Anthony J Bellanto QC and Steven Torpey, 22 March 2001.
- Delayed Complaint of Sexual Assault – A Defence Perspective, 24 May 2001.
- Costs in Criminal Cases. 31 October 2001
- Instinctive Synthesis or Two-Stage Approach: Does it Really Matter? Discretion in Sentencing, 30 July 2004.
- “A New Way to Sentence for Serious Crime”: A Response to Spigelman CJ – Delivered at the Criminal Law Specialists Day held at State Library, 4 June 2005.
- Drug Abuse as a Defence – Delivered to the Medico-Legal Society of NSW, 7 March 2007.
- Making Effective Bail Applications – Delivered at The College of Law, Criminal Law Update, 30 November 2007.
- Are Too Many Rights Wrong? Debate held by the Macquarie University Law School, 10 September 2009.
- The Art of Advocacy – Delivered at the Continuing Professional Development Seminars, 17 November 2010.
- Developments in Double Jeopardy and the Application of the Statutory Non-Parole Period – Delivered at the Lexis Nexis Criminal Law Conference, 30 November 2011.
- Criminal Law Update: A review and analysis of some important changes to the criminal law. Delivered at the Sydney CLE Conference, 30 March 2012.
- The Guilty Plea – Sentencing Advocacy – Delivered at the UNSW CLE Criminal Law Essential Update Conference, 11 March 2015.
- Dealing with Stress and Trauma in Your Criminal Law Practice – Delivered at the Annual Criminal Law Symposium, 21 March 2015.
- Police Investigative Powers in Drug Trafficking Cases – Delivered at the Annual Criminal Law Symposium, 12 March 2016.
- Child Sexual Offence Evidence: The New Pilot Scheme – Delivered at the Annual Criminal Law Symposium, 11 March 2017.
- The Royal Commission Model Legislation to Amend Evidence Laws: Tendency and Coincidence, but not as we know it… or do we know it all – Delivered at the Annual Criminal Law Symposium, 10 March 2018.
- The Continued Utility of General Deterrence as a Purpose of Sentencing – Delivered at the Annual Criminal Law Symposium, 16 March 2019.