Legal Profession: 1990
NSW Bar: 2014
Jay has considerable experience in a variety of work as a lawyer before coming to the bar. Jay’s criminal work included prosecutions with the DPP and defense work with the Aboriginal Legal Service. Jay also practiced as an investigative lawyer with ICAC; in health law; and government law specializing in regulatory and oversight bodies. Jay has presented at seminars both within Australia and Overseas.
Since coming to the bar Jay developed a considerably wider practice in Criminal Law (including areas such as Inquiries). Jay’s criminal law practice includes all State and Commonwealth matters focusing on jury trails and appeals.
Jay also has a substantial practice in Family Law and appears at Federal Circuit and Family Courts in NSW and Interstate.
Additionally Jay periodically undertakes Administrative Law & Civil Law work.
Principal Areas of Practice
Criminal Law (All areas of Criminal Law, Sentences, Hearings, Jury Trials, Appeals, CCA)
Inquiries / Commissions / Coroner Inquiries/ ICAC/ Illegal Arrest & Detention
Family Law – all matters at FCCT and Family Courts
Administrative Law (including Professional Liability, Corporate Governance)
• Litigation – Corrupt/ Fraud Cases – (UNODC) South Africa
• Investigations/ Governance – APSACC – Sydney, Brisbane, Perth; Various Public Sector Agencies, Local Councils
• Governance / Anti-Corruption – International Delegates (incl. Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, China, Qatar, Kenya, Botswana, PNG, Solomon Islands)
• ANU Postgraduate – Legal Issues & Oversight of Investigatory Bodies
• Administrative Law – Various Public Sector Agencies, Local Councils
BHA (UNSW); LLB, & Grad Dip Law (UTS); LLM (UNSW)